Concrete is naturally a strong material, and we mix dense formulas to make them strong enough for everyday use. Most of our pieces are also finished with a topical sealer to protect the surface. Below are care and maintenance tips to help you keep your concrete beautiful for a lifetime. Chicago Concrete Studio offers period service appointments for all of our products. Please contact us if you need service.
- Wipe up spills as soon as possible.
- Use a low-pH, non-acidic cleaner.
- Test sealed surfaces while routinely cleaning the surface.
- If the surface darkens where tested, a coat of sealer will be necessary to maintain peak performance.
- DO NOT USE BLEACH or whitening products that may lighten the surface if allowed to remain in contact with it.
- DO NOT PLACE HOT POTS DIRECTLY ON THE SURFACES as it may soften and mark the sealer.
- DO NOT CUT DIRECTLY ON THE CONCRETE as it may produce fine cuts in the sealer that will appear as dark hairlines.
- DO NOT ABRADE THE SURFACE with wine bottles or similar hard objects that may mar the finish.
- DO NOT USE HARSH CLEANERS containing ammonia, abrasives, acids or bleach.
- DO NOT USE TAPE ON TOPICALLY SEALED PRODUCTS as it can create a permanent bond with the sealer and can cause the sealer to delaminate when the tape is removed.
- Products are typically finished with a topical sealer. For this, use a polish containing carnauba wax, or Collinite Marine Wax available at West Marine Stores. It can be applied with a clean cloth to maintain high water/stain resistance and protect the sealer beneath. The frequency of application will depend on the specific product and its use (as an example, we recommend monthly for countertops).
Stain & Scuff Removal
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will take out any stains such as pen or marker. It may leave a shinier spot where used. To get rid of this, just buff the immediate and surrounding area with a Scotchbrite pad.
- Re-apply the finish material as necessary.